Advising Services provides professional academic advising to all students. Current students can contact their faculty advisor; however all students are welcome to contact the Advising Services with questions.
Academic advising begins with attendance at SOAR, or a registration appointment, and continues through a series of meetings each semester. Current students are assigned a faculty advisor based on the student’s declared major. Academic advising is recommended for all students each semester. Meetings with an advisor are confidential and designed to provide students with the information needed for a successful academic career.
What Does an Academic Advisor Do?
Academic advisors provide intensive advising support through regular contact with their advisees. Advisors help students explore their academic interests, identify resources for additional information and support, and develop plans of study appropriate for their educational goals. They also refer students to other campus offices for assistance in academic, personal, and career counseling; academic skills development; and financial aid.
Visit Your Advisor When You:
- have questions about careers, majors or certificate programs.
- want to plan a schedule for the next semester or create an academic plan for your major.
- have questions about the registration process.
- are preparing to register for the next semester.
- have questions about college procedure and resources, such as “How do I drop or add classes?” or “Where can I get career information?”
- are having academic difficulties.
- need someone to talk to about personal issues that impact academic progress.