The Hathaway Scholarship (For WY High School Grads)


Hathaway logo

Education: The State’s Greatest Investment

The State of Wyoming has established a generous scholarship program in the name of former Wyoming Governor Stan Hathaway that provides an incentive for Wyoming students to prepare for and pursue post-secondary education within the State of Wyoming.  The Wyoming Department of Education’s program, which began with the high school graduating class of 2006, provides merit- and need-based awards to eligible students.

Follow this link to read more about the Hathaway Scholarship:

Follow this link to view Hathaway Scholarship information for Parents:

The Hathaway Scholarship is not an entitlement and awards are subject to legislative appropriation.  The Legislature has the authority to modify or terminate the Hathaway Scholarship Program at any time.

How Do I Apply for The Hathaway Scholarship?

Applying for the Hathaway Scholarship at the Northern Wyoming Community College District’s Sheridan College or Gillette College is easy!

Follow this process and timeline:

  1. Complete the Hathaway Scholarship application.
  2. Supply a current copy of your high school transcript and ACT or SAT scores.
  3. Complete your admission file by providing your final official high school transcript to NWCCD’s Admissions Office upon graduation and provide any new test scores you may have.

The Financial Aid office will inform you of your Hathaway scholarship via your Financial Aid Self-Service account and email.  Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing after submitting the required paperwork (final official High School transcript showing your graduation date).

Hathaway Requests

Hathaway FAQs

Students must apply for the Hathaway Scholarship within 24 months of their high school class’ natural graduation date. Students must begin using the scholarship within 28 months. For example, a student graduates on May 24, 2015.  This student has until May 24, 2017 to apply and has until the upcoming fall semester to begin using the scholarship.  Exceptions may be made for documented military service or religious sojourns.

A student must apply for the Hathaway Scholarship within 24 months of their high school graduation date.  However, exceptions may be made for documented military service or religious sojourns.

High school graduates, High School Equivalency Certificate (HSEC) recipients, and homeschool students all have different requirements for eligibility.  Please visit for additional information.

At this time your SAT score can be converted to an ACT equivalent for consideration. Contact us: We’re happy to answer any questions you may have about the Hathaway Scholarship. Please contact Brenda in the Financial Aid Office at

To qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship, you must be considered a resident of Wyoming according to the Northern Wyoming Community College Districts residency policy which requires that a student’s parents live in Wyoming and/or the student graduated from a Wyoming high school.

A FAFSA is not required to determine your Hathaway Scholarship eligibility. However, a need based award is available to qualifying students, but the FAFSA must be 100% completed before the financial aid office can determine if you are eligible for the need based portion.

The Hathaway Scholarship is awarded each semester based on enrollment in 12 credits. If a student is enrolled in 6-11 credits, or is enrolled in a course numbered less than 1000 (eg Math 0920), the Hathaway Scholarship award amount will be prorated accordingly.

Students must maintain a specific cumulative GPA, complete the credits they attempt, and remain enrolled every fall and spring semester once they begin receiving the scholarship. Please visit to see what you need to do in order to regain the scholarship. Then visit to submit the eligibility recheck form.

Students have 48 credits (or 4 full time semesters) to use the Hathaway Scholarship at a WY community college and an additional 48 credits to use at the University of Wyoming. If you want to transfer your scholarship to another WY community college or UW, please visit to submit the transfer request form.

No.  The intent of the scholarship is, in part, to encourage students to pursue your education in Wyoming with hopes that you’ll consider pursuing a career here when you are done.

While the Hathaway Scholarship isn’t available to use out-of-state, students who attend an out-of-state school may come back within the 24 month time period to an in-state institution and begin using their scholarship.  Students who initiated their scholarship before leaving Wyoming may also return and regain their eligibility if within the six-year window.  Continuous enrollment requirements (at a WY institution) apply.

Hathaway Calculator

Discover how the Hathaway Scholarship can help you by visiting the Hathaway Calculator.


Have questions?  Contact Brenda Haseman in the Financial Aid Office for more answers about the Hathaway Scholarship Program 307-675-0203