In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, NWCCD Disability Services provides confidential assistance to students with documented disabilities. NWCCD Disability Services strives to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to programs, services, facilities, and the campus community. NWCCD Disability Services works with students, faculty, and staff to provide reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids, and services.
Students that had an IEP or 504 Plan in high school or that have been diagnosed with a medical, physical, pscpsychological, or learning disability, may be eligible for services from Disabilities Services. Students interested in accommodations through Disability Services must first self-identify by contacting our Disability Services Office in order to receive services.
Services and accommodations are individualized to each student on a case-by-case basis. Disability Services collaborates with the student to determine accommodations. Possible accommodations may include but are not limited to:
· Extended test time
· Quiet/distraction-reduced testing environment
· Alternative testing format
· Sign language interpreter or remote interpreting services
· Assistive technology or assistive listening devices
· Digital recorder in the classroom
· Extended time for in-class assignments to correct spelling, punctuation, grammar
· Opportunities for breaks
· Written materials in an alternative formats
· Textbooks in Braille
· Use of computer with spell check and/or grammar check during essay exams
· Use of a calculator during testing of students with math calculation or math reasoning disabilities
· Duplication of instructor notes or PowerPoint slides
· Priority/special seating arrangements
Students may request accommodations at any time from Disability Services. Accommodation implementation can take between 2 – 6 weeks, depending on services required, availability of resources needed, and availability of documentation needed. Students are encouraged to contact Disability Services as soon as possible to make arrangements for accommodations.
Connecting with Disability Services
Students with disabilities who seek support services and accommodations should contact one of the following individuals to set up an initial interview: