NWCCD Vice President of Academic Affairs
The Vice President of Academic Affairs is a senior leadership position reporting directly to the President. The VPAA provides executive-level leadership in the achievement of the college’s academic goals as well as administrative oversight to all academic areas within both colleges. As the chief instructional officer, the VPAA provides direction for academic programs, services, policies, procedures and personnel. As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the VPAA is also a key participant and contributor to the overall mission of the college district.
- Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university (Doctorate Degree preferred)
- Significant academic leadership experience in higher education (community college experience preferred)
- Successful teaching experience
- Understanding of, and passion for, the comprehensive community college mission
- Knowledge and experience with general transfer, career and technical, developmental education, and workforce development
- Demonstrated commitment to student success, student equity, and completion
- Advocate for policies and practices that value diversity and inclusion
- Expert on enrollment management strategies
- Supportive of innovation and high standards of excellence
- Knowledge and practice of assessment and program review processes
- Demonstrated ability to develop partnerships with K-12, business and industry, and community organizations
- Accreditation leadership experience
- Knowledge of and experience using current technology in educational institutions
- Utilize exemplary personnel procedures including hiring, coaching, and evaluation
- Understanding of budget and fiscal management
- A strategic thinker, organized and efficient, able to stay on top of multiple projects and initiatives
- Supportive of the professional development of all staff, faculty and administrators
- Seeks to grow and enhance his/her own leadership skills
- Successful experience with collegial collaboration and participatory leadership
- Practices transparency, integrity, collaboration, and communication
- Superb communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Known for compassionate and ethical behavior
SAMPLE POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties of the Vice President of Academic Affairs include (but are not limited to):
- Plan, organize, and direct all aspects of the college’s academic programs and services, ensuring high quality that results in student completion.
- Recommend and implement procedures and practices that promote student learning throughout the organization through program development, program review, curriculum, and articulation.
- Lead and implement effective enrollment management strategies by demonstrating an understanding of the obstacles and barriers students face.
- Develop a culture of inquiry exemplified by effective assessment of student learning at the institutional and program levels.
- Facilitate institutional change by supporting innovation and risk-taking.
- Direct a program of faculty appointments, development, assessment, achievement of tenure and evaluation pre- and post-tenure.
- Work closely with Faculty Senate in pursuit of the college’s mission.
- Facilitate the work of the Curriculum and Standards Committee.
- Play a key role in on-going accreditation-related activities.
- Demonstrate financial leadership, functioning within constrained budgets while ensuring the viability of the instructional programs.
- Actively participate in campus and local community life.
- Establish and foster productive partnerships with regional businesses, community organizations, and other educational institutions.
- Serve as a representative of the District at the state and regional level, as assigned by the President.
- Be a contributing member to the President’s Cabinet and work closely with other executive leaders.