ADULT BASIC EDUCATION (ABE)
What ABE is all about
- We help individuals develop basic literacy skills
- We provide ESL classes to individuals wanting to learn how to speak, read, and write the English language
- We help individuals prepare to take a high school equivalency test: either the GED, HiSET or TASC.
- We provide skill development to prepare students to enroll in college
- We provide work readiness skill development to help students write resumes, cover letters, and job search
Enrollment in ABE classes is free. Contact us to learn when the next intake session is.
- Sheridan College contact Billie Rae Charles at 307-674-6446 Ext. 2700.
- Gillette College contact Sarah Riehn at 307-674-6446 Ext. 2703.
- Sheridan College in Johnson County contact Mary Sue Williams at 307-684-2001.
The goals of the Adult Basic Education Program are to:
- Increase accessibility to adult education services in areas of the state most in need of these services;
- Create a seamless transition to postsecondary education and training systems;
- Build an educated and competitive Wyoming workforce;
- Foster strong, self-sufficient, literate families in an effort to reduce the current student achievement gap; and
- Utilize a collaborative and efficient approach in the use of community resources to meet the needs of adults in our communities.
Target Population of Eligible Adults: The term “eligible adult” means adults requiring services or instruction below the postsecondary level:
- Who are 16 years-of-age or older;
- Who are not enrolled or required to be enrolled in secondary school under state law; and
- Lack sufficient mastery of basic educational skills to function effectively in society;
- Do not have a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent;
- Have not achieved an equivalent level of education; or
- Are unable to speak, read, or write in English.
Expected outcomes of enrollment in ABE program:
- Demonstrated improvements in literacy skill levels in reading, writing and speaking the English Language, numeracy, problem-solving, English language acquisition and other literacy skills;
- Placement in, retention in, or completion of post-secondary education, job training, unsubsidized employment or career advancement; and
- Receipt of a recognized equivalent of a secondary school diploma.
High School Equivalency Transcripts/Certificates
Please visit the High School Equivalency Program page on the Wyoming Community College Commision website to get a copy of your transcript. If you want one or more copies, or to deliver them to a college of your choice, they will do so for a fee.
Sheridan and Gillette College Testing Centers
If you would like to know the next scheduled testing days for GED, HiSET or TASC visit our testing centers.
- The ESOL program offers instruction supporting English language aquistition for non-credit seeking adults in both reading and writing.
- Offered classes include Beginning ESOL, Intermediate ESOL, Advanced ESOL, Transition to ABE class, and Citizenship Preparation.
- Students will be placed in class once they have completed a placement exam.
- To schedule a placement exam or for more information: in Gillettte call Deb Bennett at 307-686-0254 Ext. 1458 and in Sheridan call Billie Rae Charles at 307-674-6446 Ext. 2700.