You may need to help the student recognize and understand that his or her problems require more extensive assistance. Your task will be to help the student overcome fears of, or resistances to, seeking professional assistance.
Some ways of communicating your support are:.

“We all need some kind of help at some time, even if it’s only talking to someone who can listen without criticism or being upset.”.

“It’s a sign of increasing maturity when a person knows it’s time to seek some help.”.

“It takes strength and courage to ask for help.”.

“Sometimes if you’re unsure of what you really want to do, that creates tension and stress inside you.”

“Counseling services are confidential. Nothing goes in your record. Nobody can find out what you would be talking about.”

“Counseling has been helpful to others like yourself. You can try it and see if it helps.”

  • Remind the student that all counseling is confidential. If the student is still reluctant, offer to call a counselor or to escort the student to the counselor’s office. Should the student feel threatened by your offer, do not pursue it. You can contact the CARE Team, Counseling Services or Dean of Students to discuss your concerns.
  • If the student accepts your suggestion, give the student the address and phone number of a mental health professional in your community.
  • If the problem seems urgent, immediately contact the CARE Team, Counseling Services and/or the Dean of Students to let her know who you have referred and your assessment of urgency.
  • Bear in mind that a student need not be in crisis for you to refer him or her for counseling. A problem need not be overwhelming to have a negative impact on the student’s academic performance. Any problem that is affecting the student’s classroom behavior is sufficient reason.

All counselor contacts with students are treated with confidentially and in accord with the state of Wyoming mental health code. The counselor cannot tell anyone, inside or outside of the Northern Wyoming Community College District, that the student is receiving NWCCDCS services unless the student signs a specific release of information. Sometimes the faculty or staff member who made the referral will call to follow up. Please understand that the counselor cannot tell you that the student has made an appointment without his/her written consent. If you are concerned about the student, contact him/her directly to ask if s/he has followed through with the referral. Information could only be released without a student’s written consent in those circumstances when there is imminent danger to the student or to others, child or elderly abuse, or a duly issued subpoena. Such occasions are rare.

Counseling Services: 307-686-0254 ext. 2350

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5