GC student-athlete Reanna Jereb strides for success

Student-athlete Reanna Jereb strides for success

From Gillette College Insider Vol. III

Reanna Jereb stepped onto the Gillette College campus in the fall of 2012 having never competed in a cross-country race. Jereb was a standout middle distance track runner in high school but she had little experience with the longer jaunts.

“I ran track in high school. I never ran cross-country. So last year was the first year I ran cross-country and I loved it,” Jereb said.

Reanna Jereb S14IMG_1247djTwo years removed from high school, she will graduate as an All-American cross-country runner with a stellar resume in the classroom and a plan.

Jereb, a 20-year-old sophomore from Rock Springs, will complete her general studies coursework this spring, before taking her plethora of skills to Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction this fall. She will continue her cross-country career while striding toward a degree in chemistry, eyeing, one day, a doctorate and a foothold in the pharmaceutical industry.

Jereb’s fifth-place finish at the NJCAA Half Marathon National Championships in Atlanta in November merited her the title of All-American. Jereb’s time of 1 hour, 28 minutes, 1.07 seconds propelled the Gillette College Pronghorn women to a third-place finish.

Prior to Atlanta, Jereb excelled at the NJCAA Cross-Country National Championships 5K in Iowa, but just missed earning All-American status. The year before, as a freshman, she missed out by one place at the XC title race and battled the stomach flu during the national half marathon. The fourth time was the charm for Jereb, a crowning moment for an ardent student-athlete.

“I was so excited because I missed out on All-American three times, and I finally got it,” she said, smiling.

What makes her accomplishment even more special is that she overcame a broken foot to get there. Jereb sprinted through the first three races of the fall 2013 season before succumbing to a stress fracture in her foot. She was sidelined for six weeks, her patience dwindling.

“It really upset me because I’ve never been injured before,” Jereb said. “I was like, ‘well, I only have four more weeks. That’s not that bad.’”

With two weeks before the national meet in Iowa, Jereb returned to the course. She went on to finish in the top 40 out of more than 280 runners before punching in a dazzling 13.1-mile race in Georgia a week later.

“Just the way it makes you feel, like the runner’s high,” Jereb said, about why she loves running. “It gets you in shape.

“Most people say, ‘I like to run because I can eat a lot.’ I don’t eat that much,” she added, with a laugh.

Jereb has enjoyed her time at Gillette College, befriending teammates, coaches and faculty.

“The environment, you get more teacher-to-student contact,” Jereb said, about GC, “and they are supportive of athletics and everything.”

Share