APPLY FOR¬†VA BENEFITS
- - Follow the¬†Student Veteran Checklist to ensure a smooth transition to college and not miss any important steps.
– Students applying for veterans educational benefits for the first time should contact the¬†Veteran Services Office for information about specific chapter benefits.
– Learn about and decide on your benefit program(s)¬†at our Benefit Programs¬†page and also visiting GIBill.va.gov.
– You will then need to apply for your GI Bill¬ģ¬†using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).¬† It takes 4-6 weeks to process your application.
– When you receive your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE), bring it to the Veteran Services Office.
Veterans Coming to NWCCD from Other Schools
- - Follow the Student Veteran Checklist to ensure a smooth transition to college and not miss any important steps.
– Bring in your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
– Students who have attended other schools and used VA educational benefits will need to complete a ‚ÄúChange of Program or Place of Training‚ÄĚ form.¬† Veterans use VA Form 22-1995 and dependents¬†use VA Form 22-5495.
- - Provide an official high school transcript or GED score to verify high school graduation.
– Provide¬†an official transcript from each college or university¬†attended where coursework was completed for evaluation of prior credit.
– Provide an official military transcript for evaluation of military training.¬† See the Resources page for each Service’s website.
– All transcripts should be mailed directly from the providing institution OR be hand delivered in an envelope sealed and stamped by the institution to the Admissions Office.
DD214-(member 4 copy)
- All veterans are required to provide a copy of their DD214 (member 4) before benefits can begin.
See the Resources page if you need to order your DD214.
Requesting Certification Each Semester
- Each semester, the student must submit a¬†Veteran Certification to the VA Certifying Official in the Veteran Services Office in order to start your GI Bill¬ģ and other veteran benefits. The Certifying Official is responsible for processing your enrollment and certification to the VA once all requirements have been met. ¬†The student MUST ONLY be enrolled in coursework that is listed in the course catalog for the declared degree(s) and is part of the¬†educational plan.¬†¬†If the¬†student changes degree programs,¬†the¬†educational plan must be updated¬†to reflect the new program.¬† Any coursework not listed on the educational plan as part of the stated degree(s) will NOT be certified.
Verifying Enrollment Each Month (For Chapters 30, 1606, & 1607)
- - After being certified for the semester, the student¬†verifies continued enrollment with the¬†VA office in Muskogee, Oklahoma in order to be paid each month.¬† This must be done NO EARLIER than the last¬†day of the month.¬† Payments are always made after the month ends. ¬†For example:¬† verify September’s¬†classes¬†on September¬†30 or in October.¬† The preferred verification method is by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) OR by¬†calling 1-877-823-2378.
- Chapter 33 Post 9/11 and Chapter 35 Dependents benefits do not have to do the monthly enrollment verification.
“GI Bill¬ģ‚ÄĚ is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).¬† More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.