First-Time Applicants

  • – Follow the¬†Student Veteran Checklist to ensure a smooth transition to college and not miss any important steps.
    РStudents applying for veterans educational benefits for the first time should contact the Veteran Services Office for information about specific chapter benefits.
    РLearn about and decide on your benefit program(s) at our Benefit Programs page and also visiting
    – You will then need to apply for your GI Bill¬ģ¬†using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).¬† It takes 4-6 weeks to process your application.
    – When you receive your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE), bring it to the Veteran Services Office.

Veterans Coming to NWCCD from Other Schools

  • – Follow the Student Veteran Checklist to ensure a smooth transition to college and not miss any important steps.
    – Bring in your VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE).
    – Students who have attended other schools and used VA educational benefits will need to complete a ‚ÄúChange of Program or Place of Training‚ÄĚ form.¬† Veterans use VA Form 22-1995 and dependents¬†use VA Form 22-5495.


  • – Provide an official high school transcript or GED score to verify high school graduation.
    РProvide an official transcript from each college or university attended where coursework was completed for evaluation of prior credit.
    – Provide an official military transcript for evaluation of military training.¬† See the Resources page for each Service’s website.
    – All transcripts should be mailed directly from the providing institution OR be hand delivered in an envelope sealed and stamped by the institution to the Admissions Office.

DD214-(member 4 copy)

  • All veterans are required to provide a copy of their DD214 (member 4) before benefits can begin.
    See the Resources page if you need to order your DD214.

Requesting Certification Each Semester

  • Each semester, the student must submit a¬†Veteran Certification to the VA Certifying Official in the Veteran Services Office in order to start your GI Bill¬ģ and other veteran benefits. The Certifying Official is responsible for processing your enrollment and certification to the VA once all requirements have been met. ¬†The student MUST ONLY be enrolled in coursework that is listed in the course catalog for the declared degree(s) and is part of the¬†educational plan.¬†¬†If the¬†student changes degree programs,¬†the¬†educational plan must be updated¬†to reflect the new program.¬† Any coursework not listed on the educational plan as part of the stated degree(s) will NOT be certified.

Verifying Enrollment Each Month (For Chapters 30, 1606, & 1607)

  • – After being certified for the semester, the student¬†verifies continued enrollment with the¬†VA office in Muskogee, Oklahoma in order to be paid each month.¬† This must be done NO EARLIER than the last¬†day of the month.¬† Payments are always made after the month ends. ¬†For example:¬† verify September’s¬†classes¬†on September¬†30 or in October.¬† The preferred verification method is by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) OR by¬†calling 1-877-823-2378.
    – Chapter 33 Post 9/11 and Chapter 35 Dependents benefits do not have to do the monthly enrollment verification.

“GI Bill¬ģ‚ÄĚ is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).¬† More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at