STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES PROGRAM
Engaging Students in Their Success
Student Support Services (SSS) Program, a federally funded TRiO program of the U.S. Department of Education, is designed to assist participants with enhancing their academic skills, increase their retention and graduation rates, and promote transfer to 4 year institutions from community college by fostering a climate supportive of student success. The SSS program is new at the Northern Wyoming Community College DistrictÂ but has been in place throughout the nation helping students grow as learners and professionals while obtaining their degree since 1968.
The Student Support Services Program takes a holistic approach to support studentsÂ in completingÂ long term academic goals by focusing on the four core areas of academics, financial, career, and personal/social. Services in these areas are:
- Individual Tutoring and Academic Plans
- Supplemental academic advising
- Study Skills development
- Priority registration
- Academic intervention & advocacy
- Academic success workshops
Personal & Professional
- One-on-one mentoring
- Community Service Opportunities
- Career Exploration & workshops
- Self-advocacy skill development
- Referrals to on- and off-campus resources
- Student Enrichment Opportunities
- 4 Year College Visits
- Review of financial aid awards
- Financial aid workshops
- Financial literacy workshops
- Identification of alternative sources of aid & recommendation for scholarships (specific requirements determine eligibility)
All SSS participants are matched with a SSS program professional mentor who is personally invested in the retention and success of program students. Our services are tailored to suit each student’s unique needs. Along with having a program mentor always available; students have the opportunity to participate in educational events that are designed to increase the students sense of belonging and personal growth. Students also have the ability to request activities, events, and services that they may want.
All Services available are provided free to program participants. The SSS program is here to help its participants fulfill their academic goals in their postsecondary education.