Commercial Driver Training
Truck drivers are an integral part of the transportation web. Types of truck driver employment includes owner-operators, company drivers and independent owner-operators. Through the Commercial Driver Training (CDT) program at Gillette College, you will learn all the skills to pass your certification endorsement offered by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
The Commercial Driver Training Course is scheduled over four weeks. Testing and any necessary remediation will take place in the fourth week of the scheduled course.
- The course will run Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm for four (4) weeks and will be held at the Gillette College Technical Education Center and a designated backing yard in Gillette.
- The first week will include classroom training for preparation for students to complete their Commercial Driver Permit Testing. The classroom instruction will cover: General Knowledge, Airbrakes, Whistleblower, Combinations, Driver Qualifications, and Hours of Service.
- Three weeks of behind-the-wheel, hands-on driving and truck work in a backing yard will be facilitated.
- Students will be permitted to use the Center for Workforce and Community Education’s equipment for their first test and Gillette College will provide any testing remediation needed within the last week of scheduled training.
- Gillette College will also provide a testing vehicle for students who wish to test for a passenger endorsement.
- May 2 – 27, 2016
- June 6 – July 1, 2016
- July 11 – August 5, 2016
- August 8 – September 2, 2016
- September 12 – October 7, 2016
- October 10 – November 4, 2016
- November 7 – December 9, 2016 (No class November 23-25)
Commercial Driver Training Admissions Process
Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age or older to be admitted to the CDT program. Students will be notified via email of admittance to the course within fourteen (14) business days of receipt of the completed application. Students must notify the Center of their intent to register for their selected course dates within ten (10) calendar days of notification.
Required Application Materials include:
- Completed Gillette College Commercial Driver Training Application
- A copy of your current and valid Wyoming Driver’s License
- A copy of your 10-year Motor Vehicle Record (dated within 14 days of your application)
- A copy of your Department of Transportation physical, administered by a qualified DOT Medical Examiner. A list of qualified examiners can be found at: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/medical
- Wyoming at Work registration verification (if applicable, see CDT Cost below)
- Employment separation notification (if applicable, see CDT Cost below)
Please remember, EACH line of the application MUST be completed in full or marked with N/A for anything that is not applicable to you. Applications will only be considered for admittance and registration for the course when ALL required documents are received in the Center for Workforce and Community Education.
Applications may be submitted in person (Gillette College Technical Education Center, Room 204C) or via mail (Center for Workforce and Community Education at Gillette College, Driver Training Program, 300 West Sinclair, Gillette, WY, 82718). No documents will be accepted via email or fax for this program.
CDT Cost & Frequently Asked Questions
The full Commercial Driver Training Course costs $3400.00. Payment in full is required at the time of registration for the course. This cost includes all instruction and required materials, permit testing, first attempt at CDL test, a vehicle for your first test, any necessary remediation, a drug screen, and any random drug screens during the course.
The cost for students who have already earned a Commercial Driver’s Permit and wish to only take the hand-on and behind-the-wheel instruction is $3000.00. This cost includes first attempt at CDL test, a vehicle for your first test, any necessary remediation within the course timeframe, a drug screen, and any random drug screens during the course.
If you currently hold a Class A permit or a Class B CDL and would benefit from a refresher course please contact us for information regarding CDL refresher courses, Class B to Class A course or other training options.
*If you are a displaced energy industry worker, you may qualify for grant funding for this or other training programs. For Class A CDL training program, attach verification that you are registered with Wyoming at Work as well as a copy of your employment separation letter to your application to be considered for grant funding.
**For information about scholarships or other funding options for this or other training programs, please contact the Wyoming Department of Workforce Services Office in person at 551 Running W. Drive, Suite 100, Gillette, WY, 82718, or by phone 307-682-9313.
You have one year from the time you establish residency to be issued a Wyoming Driver License. If the license you currently hold is issued by one of the following states: Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin or is a Commercial Driver License, you must apply for a Wyoming license once you have established residency in Wyoming.
You must appear in-person at your local driver exam station to apply for a first-time Wyoming driver license or to renew your expired Wyoming driver license. You will be asked to surrender your out-of-state issued driver license at this time. Please visit the Wyoming Department of Transportation’s website.
You can re-take the written test up to three times in the same day. You can continue to do this until you pass.
You will be responsible to pay the $40 testing fee and to contact the Wyoming Department of Motor Vehicle to schedule your test. You must notify Gillette College to schedule the use of a truck for re-testing. Gillette College will provide needed remediation as time allows between tests.
Endorsements are offered at the DMV. All endorsements require passing a written test. Endorsements available include: doubles/triples, tanker, hazmat, and passenger. You will be required to pay for all endorsement tests and all required background checks and fingerprint cards required for a hazmat endorsement.
Thank you for your interest in the Driver Training Program and we look forward to serving your training needs through Gillette College!